Swansea manager Paul Clement is sure that summer arrival Roque Mesa has got a bright future with the Welsh club despite the fact that the Spaniard has been in the starting eleven in just one Premier League fixture so far this season.
The 28-year old came during the last transfer window for £11m and he was expected to make a big impact after completing 91.4% of his passes in La Liga last season. But the former Las Palmas midfielder is failing to fulfill the expectations and there were some rumours saying that he is set to come back to Spain.
Mesa told the Spanish publication Estadio Deportivo that he could return home “if within two months I continue without having minutes”, so it’s obvious that his position is even more uncertain now. But his manager Paul Clement confirmed that the Spaniard will be given a chance in Tuesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Manchester United.
Clement made a comment about Mesa’s future, according to Sky Sports: “Absolutely, that will be very much judged on how he performs over time. That is the same with all the players, they sign contracts, in his case a long-term contract, and we want him here for that period. The kind of player he is, knowing the style and culture he has come from, I understand La Liga and the intensity there compared to this league.”
“It is very different,” he added. “But he is making gradual adjustments to his game and I am sure we are going to see some of those things.”
Mesa was given a chance as a substitute in the match against Watford but he made a silly mistake which caused his side’s late loss. But Swansea manager denied that that’s the reason for the lack of opportunities: “Some people have questioned why he is not playing, but it was not because of the mistake against Watford. He has been getting up to speed with things and I have told him he is going to start against United. He has been training hard and he deserves a chance in the team.”