In a television documentary called “La Decision” Antoine Griezmann who been linked with Barcelona, announced he will stay at Atletico Madrid.
The 27-year-old forward said he wanted to clarify his future before France’s World Cup opener against Australia on Saturday. Griezmann joined Atletico from Real Sociedad in 2014 and has scored 112 goals in all competitions for the club.
“I have decided to stay,” he said at the end of the Spanish programme according to BBC.
After president Josep Maria Bartomeu said he met with Griezmann’s agent earlier this season, Atletico said they were “fed up” with Barcelona over their chase of the player and went ahead to report Barcelona to Fifa over an alleged illegal approach for the Frenchman in December.
Griezmann, who is under contract until 2022, tweeted “my fans, my team, my home” after the decision.
His announcement copied NBA star LeBron James’ method of announcing his move from Cleveland to Miami in 2010, also on a television show called The Decision.