CHESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 25: Jose Enrique of Liverpool passes the ball during the Barclays U21 Premier League match between Liverpool U21 and Tottenham Hotspur U21 at Lookers Vauxhall Stadium on January 25, 2016 in Chester, England. (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Former Newcastle United and Liverpool left-back Jose Enrique has announced that he has been diagnosed with a ‘rare’ brain tumour.

Jose Enrique hung up his boots last September after persistent knee problems, but the 32-year-old revealed for the first time that his retirement had been overshadowed by the life-threatening condition.

“I had a meeting with Chris Hughton, the Brighton Coach who I had during my time at Newcastle,” he told Marca via Football Espana.

“That night, the light was beginning to bother me. I got to the hotel and thought I had migraines.

“During the night, I had an awful headache and the next morning I started to have blurry vision.

“After that, I started to see double. My eyes were open and I’d see double. I had to go to A&E and, after nine hours there, they gave me a CAT scan.

“Neurologists saw me, and the tests indicated that a vein in my head had collapsed. They sent me to St. George’s Hospital in London, specialists in neurology, immediately.

“I spent two nights there. It’s a tumour located in a complicated area of my head. It’s very rare, unusual.

“It was located behind my eye, that’s why I now wear an eye patch. I was even told that I could lose my vision.