Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri has revealed that he turned down Real Madrid in favour of remaining at Turin
Following his arrival from AC Milan in 2014, Allegri has led the Bianconeri to four successive domestic doubles in all four of his seasons in charge which made him one of the leading candidates to replace the departed Zinedine Zidane at Real.
But the 50-year-old revealed that he had already given Juventus his word that he would remain at Turin for the upcoming season and chose to keep his promise, even when Real came calling.
“Being linked with a club like Real made me proud, but I said no because I gave my word to [President] Andrea Agnelli,” said Allegri, via ForzaItalianFootball.
“There were two reasons I said no: because I have the utmost respect for Juve and I keep my word.
“Given that, I gladly said no to the call from Madrid.”
Allegri has impressively won 156 of his 220 games in charge of Juventus with a winning percentage of 70.91%.
But he refuses to consider himself to be on par with club legends like Gianluigi Buffon or Alessandro Del Piero.
“I don’t want to be equated with them because they are players who wrote Juventus’ history,” he added.
“I’ve only been here four years.”
Juventus will face Chievo Verona for their Serie A opener on August 18.