Ajax captain Matthijs de Ligt revealed he’s yet to make a final decision on his future, despite being strongly linked with a move to Barcelona.
19-year-old De Ligt is one of the hottest young prospects in European football on the back of his standout displays during Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-finals this season.
The Dutch centre-back is expected to leave in the summer after Ajax manager Erik ten Hag admitted there is “zero chance” they will be able to keep him next season.
Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester United and Bayern Munich have all been touted as potential destinations.
In fact, Catalunya Radio had claimed on Tuesday that Barcelona made “significant progress” in signing De Ligt. The radio station even boldly stated an agreement could be announced later this week.
But De Ligt has squashed those rumours by announcing he’s not even made a decision on his future yet.
“This is not the time to talk about my future,” he told Fox Sports.
“I don’t know if I will go with Frenkie de Jong [to Barcelona]. I still have to analyse things and see everything. We’ll see what happens.
“I cannot say anything. We’ll see at the end of the summer. There is nothing yet.”
De Ligt led Ajax to their first Eredivisie title in five years on Wednesday night after their 4-1 victory over De Graafschap.
It means Ten Hag’s side end what has been a terrific campaign with a double following their KNVB Cup triumph earlier this month.
“It is indescribable. We have been craving this for five years,” said De Ligt.
“I enjoyed the cup, the competition, the Champions League and especially the team spirit.”
Lasse Schone, Nicolas Tagliafico, Dusan Tadic (twice) were the goalscorers for Ajax on Wednesday.
— AFC Ajax (@AFCAjax) May 15, 2019