Carlo Ancelotti announced that Napoli are in the middle of negotiations to sign both Nicolas Pepe and James Rodriguez this summer.
After finishing a distant second-place last season to Serie A champions Juventus, Napoli have spent €89m on eight new players in the summer transfer window.
The biggest coup of them all, so far at least, is the €36m arrival of AS Roma centre-back Konstantinos Manolas. The Partenopei have also signed up goalkeepers Alex Meret, David Ospina and Orestis Karnezis on permanent deals.
But Napoli are yet to add any significant additions to their attacking options for next season. Although that could all be about to change shortly, with Lille OSC forward Pepe’s representatives seen visiting the club’s training camp.
“They were at our hotel. I said hello, as I did with all the agents who came here,” said Ancelotti, according to Football-Italia.
“Obviously, we are interested in Pepe, his agents are here and there’s no point hiding that. Negotiations are in progress and we’ll see what happens.”
“Pepe is a wide attacking player. We want to find someone who can play between the lines, without forgetting that Milik is a centre-forward, but also strong with his feet.”
On the other hand, Ancelotti has been very open lately over his interest in re-signing his old Real Madrid star James.
“All negotiations are still open. Real Madrid want to sell and Napoli want to sign him,” added the Napoli boss.
“There is no optimism or pessimism. There are players who interest us and we’ll see what happens.”
But Ancelotti seems set to face some strong competition for James from Atletico Madrid. The club’s president, Enrique Cerezo, even confirmed their interest in the Colombia international on Thursday.
Juventus are also allegedly in the running for James’ signature this summer.