The La Liga club has released a statement condemning the way Blaugrana president Josep Maria Bartomeu has talked about their player.
Frenchman Antoine Griezmann has said he is set to leave Atletico Madrid this summer.
And while that’s okay for the club, they have just learned that Barcelona has had an agreement with the footballer since March.
Which has angered Los Colchoneros and today they published a statement condemning the words said by Blaugrana president Josep Maria Bartomeu today.
“On May 14, Antoine Griezmann informed Diego Simeone and Andrea Berta of his decision to leave our club at the end of the season,” the statement said according to Sky Sports.
“In the days that followed that meeting, Atletico de Madrid learned that FC Barcelona and the player had reached an agreement in March, specifically in the days following the return match of our Champions League tie against Juventus and that they had been negotiating the terms of the agreement since mid-February.”
“Regarding president Bartomeu’s statement today we wish to state that it is true that yesterday there was a meeting between Miguel Angel Gil and FC Barcelona CEO Oscar Grau, at Barcelona’s request and that at that meeting, Mr. Grau expressed his intention, once the release clause of Antoine Griezmann’s contract had decreased from 200 to 120 million Euros, to ask for a deferred payment of the aforementioned amount of the clause in force as from July 1,” they added.
“Atlético de Madrid’s response was obviously negative, as we believe that FC Barcelona and the player have disrespected Atlético de Madrid and all its fans.”
“As a consequence, today, Atletico de Madrid has instructed the player, his sister, and agent and his lawyer, that Antoine Griezmann, in compliance with his contractual obligations with our club, must appear next Sunday in the club’s facilities in order to start the pre-season with the rest of his teammates,” they concluded.
Official statement regarding FC Barcelona president Josep María Bartomeu's statements on Griezmann.https://t.co/0fxahHPAK9
— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) July 5, 2019