The nominees for the Kopa award are dominated by La Liga players.
The Kopa Trophy is an award for the best under 21 player of 2019.
Many of the nominees will also feature on the main award list for the prestigious Ballon D’Or, the award and it nominees are produced by France Football.
The obvious candidates, are Matthijs de Ligt who had a stand out season with Ajax and is now at Juventus.
Joao Felix who made a big-money move this summer from Benfica to Atletico Madrid also makes the list.
Real Madrid is represented by Vinicius jr, who makes the list even though his playing time has been somewhat limited.
Andriy Lunin the young Ukranian goalkeeper on loan from Real Madrid to Real Valladolid is the sole shot-stopper on the list.
Jadon Sancho who has been the height of speculation of late following another promising season with Borussia Dortmund has been nominated.
As has former Juventus player and current Everton star Moise Kean.
Arsenals breakout Frenchman, Matteo Gendouzi makes this year’s list as the sole representative from the Premier League.
South Korean teenage sensation Kang-in Lee of Valencia and Samu Chukwueze of Villareal round out the list.
The Spanish league contingent makes up 50 per cent of the nominees. Eight of the ten are also in the running for the main Balon D’or prize which is also on offer from France Football.
The full list reads as follows:
- Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax/Juventus/Netherlands)
- Vinicius (Real Madrid/Brazil)
- Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen/Germany)
- Mattéo Gendouzi (Arsenal/France)
- Andriy Lunin (Real Madrid/Real Valladolid/Ukraine)
- João Félix (Benfica/Atlético Madrid/Portugal)
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund/England)
- Moise Kean (Juventus/Everton/Italy)
- Samu Chukwueze (Villarreal/Nigeria)
- Kang-in Lee (Valencia/South Korea)
Among the 10 Kopa Trophy nominees ⤵️
Matthijs de Ligt 🇳🇱@juventusfc
Vinicius Jr 🇧🇷@realmadrid
Kai Havertz 🇩🇪@bayer04fussball
Mattéo Guendouzi 🇫🇷@Arsenal
— France Football (@francefootball) October 21, 2019