Chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge admits all Bayern Munich can do is “wait and see” on whether or not they can sign Leroy Sane from Manchester City.
For the last two months, Bayern have been pursuing a deal for Sane following the departures of veteran wingers Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben.
The Bundesliga champions view Sane as the best candidate to help fill the void and have patiently waited for him to make a decision on their interest. Unless he says “yes”, they’ve made it clear there will be no official approach to City.
Although Citizens boss Pep Guardiola is determined to retain the 23-year-old despite frequently leaving him out of the line-up for Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva last season.
“He [Sane] wanted to think about his future on holiday. We have to wait and see if something moves on. We are ready,” Rummenigge told Bild.
“The transfer window is open until September 2. Nothing has been decided at all yet. The spatial distance will, of course, increase [because of the USA trip], but that’s no problem at all.”
Bayern are currently preparing for their pre-season USA tour this month. They will meet Arsenal, Real Madrid and AC Milan in the International Champions Cup (ICC) between July 18 to 24.
Meanwhile, reports have linked Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele with a surprise move to the Allianz Arena this summer. Apparently, he could be sold after the Blaugrana spent €120m on signing Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid.
But Bayern legend Lothar Matthaus warned them that signing Dembele is a bad idea given his troublemaking past.
So far, Niko Kovac’s side have signed French World Cup-winning defenders Lucas Hernandez and Benjamin Pavard in the current transfer window.
Should a move for Sane fall-through, then Juventus’ Joao Cancelo and long-time target Callum Hudson-Odoi from Chelsea could be next in line.