• News

Bayern Munich sack Carlo Ancelotti

Advertisement

The German champions have sacked Carlo Ancelotti after their 3-0 defeat to PSG in Champions League.

The Italian manager’s job came under scrutiny after the embarrassing Champions League defeat in Paris. The club’s higher hierarchy met today to discuss the team’s future and have now announced that Ancelotti left the club.

After last night’s match, Bayern Munich’s CEO, Karl-Hainz Rummenigge said that there will be consequences after the defeat. The club posted a statement on their official website about the latest news: “Following an internal analysis in Munich on Thursday 28 September 2017, FC Bayern München have announced the club is to part company with head coach Carlo Ancelotti with immediate effect.

 Assistant coach Willy Sagnol will take charge of the team on an interim basis.”

Carlo Ancelotti took over at Bayern Munich in July 2016. Since then, he won a Bundesliga title and two German Super Cups. However, in recent times, he was criticised for the results of the team who is currently sitting third in Bundesliga.

According to Alessandro Alciato, a Sky Italy reporter who worked with Ancelotti at his autobiography, the Italian manager was expecting the news. Alciato said to Sky Italy: “He was considering leaving the club after what happened last night and was discussing this hypothesis with his staff when the news of the sacking arrived.

Clearly the locker room was divided. The big names of the club were not happy that they were not always playing and in Munich this was not accepted also by the fans.

If an important player doesn’t train or play well he is out, but some players like [Thomas] Muller, [Arjen] Robben, [Franck] Ribery and others did not accept this. They had got to a dead end.”

x