Neymar’s rape case has finally come to an end, with a Brazilian judge accepting prosecutors’ recommendation that there was insufficient evidence.
Neymar has been at the centre of a rape investigation for most of this summer after Brazilian model, Najila Trindade, accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Paris hotel in May.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward turned up at the Rio de Janeiro police station in June to testify against Trindade’s accusations. However, he has since remained silent on the case as investigators studied the evidence.
After concluding that indictment wasn’t an option, however, public prosecutors took over the case on July 30.
Eventually, though, they concluded there was a lack of evidence to support Trindade claims. So, judge Ana Paula Vieira de Moraes has formally closed the rape investigation against Neymar.
“We decided in favour of the closing of the case because there is no sufficient evidence,” said prosecutor Flavia Merlini, according to ITV.
Meanwhile, co-prosecutor Estefania Paulin added.”The police investigator asked her to plug her phone into a computer so she could see the video [supposedly showing an attack], but she [the alleged victim] didn’t want to do that. She also refused to hand over her phone, and later she said it had been stolen.”
“The case will be closed as long as no new evidence is presented. If evidence comes up and we come to understand it is relevant and important, the case could be reopened.”
Neymar, of course, has vehemently denied Trindade’s claims against him during the summer.
The pair allegedly met through the social media platform Instagram before agreeing to meet in person in France.
But Trindade claimed a drunken Neymar “became aggressive” and had non-consensual sex with her on May 15. After returning to Brazil, she then went to a Sao Paulo police station to file an official report.
In an attempt to prove his innocence, however, Neymar released video footage of messages he exchanged with the model.
While the 27-year-old insists his press team posted the images, he may still have to answer for possible cybercrime charges as posted them without Trindade’s consent.