Boca Juniors’ legend Carlos Tevez, was the unofficial spokesman for his squad and accused Conmebol of forcing them to play the final.
Right after the Boca Juniors bus was vandalized earlier this Saturday outside Monumental Stadium, the images of Carlos Tevez were constant both before and after the match that Conmebol ultimately decided to postpone.
But as more details have emerged throughout the night, the club legend was one of the few people who were in the middle of the situation and was able to speak up against the powers that be after the shameful way in which Boca Juniors was treated.
The fact that they were playing at River Plate’s own stadium was somehow viewed as a perfect opportunity for Conmebol to think they had more power over all the Boca player, even after the evident physical problems they suffered after the incident while going into the stadium on the bus.
There were even alarming reports that when projectiles started hitting the vehicle, the driver fainted as the River Plate fans started throwing objects to the bus.
Los de Boca les iban cantando desde el bus pic.twitter.com/8nWjQJEYYU
— HumorFPC (@HumorFPC) November 24, 2018
“(I was out), (Boca VP Horacio) Paolini grabbed hold of the wheel until I was able to react once again and did what I could to get the boys into the stadium,” said the bus driver whom everybody knows as ‘El Gringo’ to Diario La Nacion.
“It could have been a tragedy. I remember seeing some rocks but then I can’t remember anything.”
“I react once again, I grab the steering wheel firmly and I tell them that I am fine. It was a moment where I was without air. The worst part was over at Quinteros and Libertador, that was a massive attack. After we passed the rotunda it was as if an army was waiting for us.”
“To me the zone was freed up. We came to play a football match, not to go to war,” he added.
Carlos Tévez: "Si lo de hoy fuese Boca, River ya tendría la Copa…". pic.twitter.com/l4AYXhEfxT
— Invictos (@InvictosSomos) November 25, 2018
But the most surprising statement came from Boca legend Carlitos Tevez, who came out to speak with the press in two separate occasions.
The first one was to tell their families that mostly everybody was okay, but he mentioned abuse from Conmebol in both of the times he spoke with several members of the media.
“All they (Conmebol) cared about at that moment was for the match to be played, and we had our own skipper in the hospital with serious injuries,” said Tevez at first to Fox Sports.
“All they cared at that moment was the fact that there were presidents from several confederations and even the FIFA president.”
“It was a complete disgrace because Conmebol behaved very poorly with us, and this is a personal opinion because I don’t want to involve Boca in what I have to say about them.”
“I say all this because they were forcing us to play the match. They should instead give River the cup and that’s it, we don’t play at all.”
“We needed to go out and speak for the match to be canceled, or it would’ve been played if we hadn’t done that.”
"Si fuese Boca, ya estábamos afuera…" sentenció Carlos Tevez desde el Monumental y comentó lo que pasó en el 2015. pic.twitter.com/14jlnnqmxj
— SportsCenter (@SC_ESPN) November 24, 2018
“It’s the people up top who decided what was fair, we are all sad because football lost today and I think we all sinned as a country,” added Tevez on the second exchange with Fox Sports.
“This was supposed to be a celebration and that’s the only way we needed to experience it. Leaving like this can’t be good for anyone.”
“We changed our clothes three times and if we forfeited the match, River were the ones who were getting the trophy, that’s the reason we got ready to play.”
“Marcelo Gallardo was very smart, he came to see that everybody was okay and if we needed anything.”
“But I have to say that I can’t forget about the 2015 incident, when the River players stated that the Boca squad never approached to see how they were doing. I didn’t see any River players coming to ask us if we were okay,” he concluded.
— Veronica Brunati 💚 (@verobrunati) November 25, 2018
How should Boca Juniors act after the incidents that went down this Saturday in Buenos Aires? Please share your opinion in the comment section down below.