• News

City’s title defence back on track with 0-2 win at Palace

manchester city
Getty Images

Manchester City got the defence of their Premier League title back on track as they beat Crystal Palace 0-2 away at Selhurst Park.

City’s last league game, saw them lose to Wolves, while Palace hasn’t lost at home since being beaten by City back in April.

Pep Guardiola needed his side to respond, to stay within touching distance of runaway league leaders Liverpool.

City is having to settle for Fernandinho as their centre back, as all recognised ones are out injured right now.

The visitors dominated from the get-go.

Dominating not only possession but pinning back the hosts.

But for the excellent work of the Eagles goalkeeper Hennessey, things could have gone very badly for Palace early on.

Kevin De Bruyne set up Gabriel Jesus with an inch-perfect cross, but the Brazilian could not get his shot goal bound.

Bernardo Silva whipped in a beautiful curling shot, that had a goal written all over it, only to be denied by the outstretched fingertips of Hennessey.

In the 39th minute, the breakthrough came.

Jesus who was picked ahead of Argentine Aguero scored the all-important opening goal.

Then only 93 seconds later, Silva doubled the lead.

Raheem Sterling placed the perfectly weighted pass for David Silva who displayed pure quality as he turned to meet the ball perfectly and volley it into the back of the net.

Christian Benteke almost pulled one back for the home side.

Very much against the run of play, his powerful header thundered against the crossbar.

City had 11 attempts on goal in the first half alone.

Halftime: Crystal Palace 0 – 2 Manchester City.

The second half threatened to see the flood gates open and Palace put to the sword.

But City appeared unable to finish the job off in their usual domineering fashion.

Jesus and Sterling missed chances to added to the scoreline.

City thought they had a penalty opportunity to add to the score, after a collision in the box between De Bruyne and Zaha.

Fulltime: Crystal Palace 0 – 2 Manchester City.

VAR, however, agreed with referee Anthony Taylor’s original call of no penalty.

According to the BBC, City had 71% possession and 21 shots.

Guardiola will be glad to get back to winning ways. As his side has cut the gap against front runners Liverpool to five points.