Eden Hazard staying focused on Chelsea amid Real Madrid talk

Eden Hazard has announced that he will be keeping his full focus on Chelsea’s season as talk of a reported move to Real Madrid grows stronger.

Zinedine Zidane’s return as manager last month has fueled rumours of a possible summer transfer for Hazard, whose contract at Chelsea expires in June 2020.

In February, though, Hazard indicated that a decision had been made over his future. However, the outcome of his choice remains unknown to even Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri.

Spanish newspaper Marca claimed last week that Hazard was set to make a move to the Santiago Bernabeu, with Chelsea and Real allegedly close to reaching an agreement.

Yet no announcement has been made by either clubs, despite new reports indicating that Chelsea have slapped a £100m price tag on Hazard.

However, the 28-year-old winger has now declared he will sort out his future after the end of the season.

“I’m focused on Chelsea, as there is one month left and we have to be among the top four and win the Europa League,” Hazard told ESPN.

“The most important thing for the fans is that they have to know that when I’m on the pitch I am focused on Chelsea.

“Later we will see what happens.”

megan rapinoe, USWNT

Report: USWNT Rapinoe open to Barcelona move

US Women's national team star, Megan Rapinoe would be open to a move abroad to play football and Barcelona is her first choice. Megan Rapinoe...

The Blues are currently in the thick of a tight battle for a top-four finish in the Premier League this season against Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Hazard’s brace in Monday’s 2-0 win over West Ham saw Chelsea climb up to third in the standings and three points above fifth-place Arsenal albeit having played one more game.

But, with tricky trips to league leaders Liverpool and United coming up this month, Chelsea will have their work cut out to qualify for Champions League football next season heading into the final five league matches.

Although Sarri’s men can also reach Europe’s biggest club competition by claiming glory in the Europa League, with a first-leg quarter-final tie against Slavia Prague awaiting them on Thursday.

And Hazard admits missing out on Champions League football for a second consecutive campaign would be bad for the club.

“Two years in a row not playing Champions League is hard for the players but also for the club,” said the Belgian.

“Chelsea has to play in Champions League every year, but it’s hard because we are not the only team that is trying to play Champions League.

“But that’s why we are doing everything at the moment to try and stay in the top four.”

LONDON, ENGLAND – APRIL 08: Eden Hazard of Chelsea in action during the Premier League match between Chelsea FC and West Ham United at Stamford Bridge on April 08, 2019 in London, United Kingdom. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here