Globe Soccer Awards announced this year’s winners in a ceremony on Tuesday.
Lionel Messi defeated Robert Lewandowski in a close race to win his seventh Ballon d’Or a few weeks ago. The pair were among the finalists to win Globe Soccer’s award for Men’s Player of the Year. But this time, they were both surprised.
The pair lost to Kylian Mbappe in the competition to win the night’s biggest prize. The PSG star won the Player of the Year award for his performances at PSG in France. Lewandowski also didn’t leave the gala empty-handed. The Polish striker clinched the inaugural Diego Maradona award for most goals in a calendar year.
Cristiano Ronaldo, who broke the all-time record for most international goals, received a special award. Ronaldo was not present in the ceremony but accepted his award by sending a video message.
However, the trio were not the only winners of the night. Here is the full list of the winners for the 2021 Globe Soccer Awards.
- Men’s Player of the Year – Kylian Mbappe
- Maradona Award – Robert Lewandowski
- Top Scorer of All Time – Cristiano Ronaldo
- Best National Team of the Year – Italy
- Best Agent of the Year – Federico Pastorello
- Women’s Club of the Year – Barcelona
- Women’s Player of the Year – Alexia Putellas
- Best Sporting Director of the Year – Txiki Begiristain
- Best Men’s Club of the Year – Chelsea
- Innovation Award – Serie A
- Best Defender of the Year – Leonardo Bonucci
- Best Goalkeeper of the Year – Gianluigi Donnarumma
- Fan’s Player of the Year – Robert Lewandowski
- Best eSports Player of the Year – Msdossary7
- Best Youth Academy in Africa – ZED FC