Pep Guardiola admits that the loss of Kevin De Bruyne is a big blow for Manchester City after it was confirmed he would miss the next three months with a knee injury
De Bruyne had played a pivotal role in City’s title-winning campaign in the Premier League last season, which saw the club break several records and become the first English side to break the 100-point barrier.
But the Belgian playmaker sustained a knee injury in training on Wednesday and was sent to Barcelona to be examined by doctor Ramon Cugat.
And to Guardiola’s dismay, De Bruyne was ruled out of action for the next three months with knee ligament damage.
“It is not easy to replace Kevin. We are going to try and do our best without him – and try to be there by the time he returns,” said the City boss, according to Sky Sports.
“We will support him and my advice to him is to rest and take the holiday he didn’t get this summer.
“He will start to train with the group again when he is ready and we will welcome him with open arms.”
Everyone has their limits and Guardiola feels that the constant demands that are placed on players of this generation may have had a role in De Bruyne’s injury.
“Like the doctor said, he will be out two and half-three months,” he added.
“Hopefully, in that time, he can do as well as possible, to get back and help us again. He will be a big miss – like last season was with Benjamin Mendy.
“Last season, Kevin was outstanding and of course you never want it, but it is part of the game.
“Sometimes it is normal – the players don’t rest, they come back and have a short recovery – and we say ‘come on, let’s go’. Sometimes human beings have a limit.”
Although David Silva could make a welcome return to City soon.
“Last week he was not fit but in the last two or three days he has trained well,” said Guardiola.