Marcus Rashford has been withdrawn from England’s games against the Czech Republic and Montenegro due to an ankle problem.
The Manchester United striker missed a group training session earlier today and instead did some work indoors at England’s St George’s Park training base.
Rashford’s ankle injury was sustained in United’s goalless draw with Liverpool in the Premier League last month, but he still started four times in his last five outings for the Red Devils anyway.
However, it appears that the injury has finally caught up with the 21-year-old following England manager Gareth Southgate’s announcement he will take no further part in their Euro 2020 qualifiers.
“He’s been with our medical team all week. We’ve tried to progress his training through the week, so he did some running with them,” said Southgate, according to Sky Sports.
“But it’s clear to us he’s not going to be ready for our matches, so we’re going to send him back to the club. He’s out of the two games.”
Joining Rashford on the injury list for England are Trent Alexander-Arnold, John Stones, Fabian Delph, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Luke Shaw.
Therefore, Southgate is expected to hand Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho a first competitive start for the Three Lions in Friday’s Group A opener against the Czech Republic at Wembley.
Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi is also in the frame to make his senior international debut after being unexpectedly called-up at the last minute.
“Throughout the age groups, Sancho and Hudson-Odoi have been similar,” said Southgate.
“Jadon has more big match experience but Callum has fitted in brilliantly. They are ready and can play no problem.”
Rashford later posted a message on his Twitter confirming his absence: “Still carrying my injury from last week so will be supporting the boys from home, come on England.”
— Marcus Rashford (@MarcusRashford) March 21, 2019