Chief executive Giuseppe Marotta insists Mauro Icardi won’t be leaving Inter Milan for Juventus and shut down talk of a trade deal involving Paulo Dybala.
On Friday, Marotta delivered the finishing blow to Icardi’s Inter career by announcing that the striker and team-mate Radja Nainggolan are not apart of the club’s plans for next season.
The Italian’s big revelation came following months of near-endless speculation over Icardi’s future. Following failed contract talks, Inter removed him as captain in favour of goalkeeper Samir Handanovic back in February.
And now Marotta has opened up on the Nerazzurri’s decision to drop the Argentina international.
“When you define a project, you also need to find the ideal profiles for that project,” said Marotta, according to Goal.
“It’s not right to go into the details now, but we discussed it from all elements of the club and made this painful decision.
“We are not stupid, we realise these players are our assets and we have no intention of wasting that, but one must have the courage of convictions and we are sure we’re doing what is best for the club, without disrespecting two professionals.
“There is no lack of respect, so they will train with us and we’ll respect their rights to train.”
Icardi has scored 124 goals in 219 appearances for Inter since his €13m arrival from fellow Italian club Sampdoria in 2013.
Naturally, these strong stats have led to interest from clubs in the Serie A with even champions Juventus said to be among them.
But Marotta, who previously worked at Juventus between 2010 and 2018, shut down any talk of Icardi joining Inter’s derby rivals.
“I’d exclude it right now. There aren’t the conditions to do that,” said the 62-year-old.
“Today the player is the protagonist of his own future. We need to find a club that can meet his needs.”
As for a rumoured trade deal involving Icardi and Dybala, Marotta said: “I think it’s over the top to think about that right now.
“I know how good Dybala is, but suggesting an exchange with Icardi is something of a utopia.
“We sit at the window and watch what’s happening.”
Meanwhile, Marotta did confirm that Inter are pursuing deals for AS Roma striker Edin Dzeko and Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella.
The Italian was speaking on Sunday at Antonio Conte’s introductory press conference as Inter’s new manager.
The former Juventus and Chelsea coach gave a lengthy review into his plans to turn Inter into title challengers in the near future.