Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.
Reports emerged on Friday evening announcing that Mandzukic’s four-year stint at Juventus could end this month. It came as somewhat of a surprise considering he decided earlier in the summer to remain in Turin.
Previously, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain had allegedly expressed an interest in the Croatian.
However, Mandzukic has changed his mind on his Juventus future after falling out of favour under Maurizio Sarri. The new Bianconeri boss doesn’t rate the striker, and added the final blow by leaving him out of the club’s Champions League squad.
Now Paratici has confirmed that Mandzukic, who didn’t make the matchday squad for the Fiorentina game, could be on his way out.
“There are opportunities that have presented themselves in the market,” he told Sky Sport Italia.
“There is a situation at stake in Qatar and we decided, in agreement with the coach, the player and his agent, that it was best he didn’t come on this trip.
“Mario has been a very important player for us over the years. He has proved himself at every level and we will always be thankful to him.”
The former Bayern Munich star has until September 30, which is when the transfer window in Qatar shuts, to resolve his future.
Sarri, meanwhile, made his Serie A debut in the Juventus dugout in Saturday afternoon’s clash with Fiorentina. The Italian missed the club’s first two league games to recover from a bout of pneumonia.
“Sarri is very relaxed,” said Paratici.
“But, of course, I challenge any coach to be calm when he can’t stay on the touchline in contact with his team during a match! It was a difficult situation.”