Cristiano Ronaldo is out to smash the Roma defense once more to help Juventus grab a vital win at the Allianz Stadium.
Third meets fourth as AS Roma take the trip to Turin to face reigning Serie A champions Juventus on Saturday evening.
One place and one point are all that separate the two teams in the league standings, leaving plenty to play for in this one. However, Juventus have a game in hand and arguably are the more in-form side.
That said, Roma emerged 3-1 victors in the corresponding fixture back in August. Despite Gonzalo Higuain’s early opener, Nikola Kalinic’s equalizer and Diego Perotti’s brace sealed the visitors all three points in Turin. They now hope to seal back-to-back away wins over Juventus for the first time.
Juventus Form & Stats
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a match-winning brace against Inter Milan last time out. Not only did it seal Juventus an important 2-1 first-leg win in their Coppa Italia semi-final tie, but it also extended the club’s winning run to five matches.
The aim now is for Ronaldo to avoid going four consecutive league games without a goal. The forward hasn’t done so since November 2017 at Real Madrid. However, aside from scoring 22 goals in only 23 appearances in all competitions, he also bagged a brace in Juventus’ 2-2 away draw to Roma in September.
The Bianconeri, meanwhile, also hope to bag three successive clean sheets in the league for the first time under Andrea Pirlo. They have the league’s best defensive record. Only 18 goals have been conceded so far, which is an average of 0.85-per-game.
Key Team Stats
- Juventus have won 82 times against Roma (D50 L41).
- At risk of back-to-back home defeats to Roma for the first time ever.
- Hope to keep 3 consecutive clean sheets for the first time under Andrea Pirlo.
- Scored the most goals inside the last 15 minutes of any Serie A club (14 goals).
- Joint-most open play sequences with 10 or more passes (329) alongside Napoli.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is at risk of failing to score in 4 consecutive league games for the first time since November 2017.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 9 goals in 11 games against Roma in all competitions.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has made 26 direct goal contributions in only 23 games in all competitions (22 goals, 4 assists).
AS Roma Form & Stats
The Edin Dzeko fallout is stealing most headlines for Roma these days. Paulo Fonseca has stripped the forward of the captaincy following an alleged bust-up over the dismissal of team manager Gianluca Gomber. The head coach has also left the Bosnian of his last two matchday squads. But with the club’s European hopes at stake, he has recalled him for Saturday.
Real Madrid loanee Borja Mayoral, however, has proved a decent replacement so far. The 23-year-old has scored three goals in the last two league games to help the club bag victories over Hellas Verona and Spezia.
But while recent back-to-back wins were a welcome boost, Roma are yet to win against a top-eight club this season. A key reason is their defensive fragilities, having conceded 33 league goals in only 20 games. They’ve endured mixed fortunes on the road with four defeats in nine outings so far (W4 D1).
Key Team Stats
- Roma have lost more Serie A games against Juventus than any other club (82).
- Aim to go unbeaten in three consecutive league games against Juventus for the first time since 2002.
- Conceded 33 league goals, their second-most at this stage in the last 70 years, and the eighth-worst record in the league itself.
- Lost by 2 or more goals in 4 of their last 6 away league games.
- Scored the most goals inside the opening 15 minutes of any Serie A club (8 goals).
- Borja Mayoral has scored 3 goals in his last 2 league games.
Out: Paulo Dybala, Rodrigo Bentancur.
Out: Nicolo Zaniolo, Chris Smalling, Lorenzo Pellegrini.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Serie A
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Serie A.