Only three points will do as Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus welcome new Serie A champions and bitter rivals Inter Milan to Turin.
New Serie A champions Inter Milan pay a visit to the dethroned title holders Juventus in Turin for another Derby d’Italia on Saturday evening.
In what will be the 241st derby between these two sides, Inter are out for a bit of revenge after a Cristiano Ronaldo double knocked them out of the Coppa Italia semi-finals last time out in February.
It sets up what should be another intense affair between these bitter old rivals. Pride and prestige are on offer here. Juve desperately need the win, but Inter are keen to prove their supremacy and will be expected to throw everything at the Bianconeri.
Juventus Form & Stats
After a nightmare 3-0 defeat to AC Milan, Juventus sealed a badly needed 3-1 win over Sassuolo midweek. Adrien Rabiot, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Paulo Dybala each scored a goal to keep the club’s top-four hopes alive.
That said, it was a rather fortunate win. Sassuolo had a great first-half but paid for the price for failing to score first. Domenico Berardi even missed an early penalty before Rabiot and Ronaldo punished the hosts with two clinical finishes before half-time. Juve then proceeded to a comfortable win in the second half.
Inconsistency, however, continues to haunt Andrea Pirlo’s men. They’ve won just five of their last 10 league games (D2 L3) and haven’t kept a clean sheet since a 3-0 win over Spezia on March 2.
Juventus desperately need to turn this around ahead of the clash with bitter rivals Inter on Saturday and for next week’s Coppa Italia final against Atalanta.
Key Team Stats
- Won 5 of their last 10 games in Serie A (D2 L3).
- Haven’t lost back-to-back home games in Serie A since March 2011.
- Failed to keep a clean sheet in their last 13 games in all competitions.
- Under 2.5 goals in 5 of their last 7 games against Inter Milan in all competitions.
- There has been a penalty in their last 4 games in Serie A.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 4 goals in 10 games against Inter Milan in all competitions.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 8 goals in his last 10 games in Serie A.
Inter Milan Form & Stats
Antonio Conte started Juventus’ nine-year league dominance in 2011/12 and ended it this month by leading Inter Milan to a first title since 2010 and the 19th crown in their 113-year history.
Despite having nothing left to play for, Inter showed no signs of slowing down. They’ve beaten Sampdoria and Roma by an 8-2 aggregate score since winning the Serie A. In fact, Conte’s side have been on a 17-match unbeaten run across all competitions (W14 D3) since losing 2-1 to Juventus on February 2.
The Nerazzurri have also lost just one of their 18 away league games this season (W11 D6) and, aside from Arturo Vidal and Aleksandar Kolarov, they have no major injury concerns either.
Key Team Stats
- On a 17-match unbeaten run in all competitions (W14 D3).
- Under 2.5 goals in their last 4 away games in Serie A.
- Best defensive record in Serie A on 31 conceded goals.
- Failed to score in each of their last 5 away games against Juventus in Serie A.
- Scored a league-high of 14 headers and conceded the joint-fewest-headed goals on three alongside Spezia in Serie A.
- Over 4.5 cards in their last 10 games against Juventus.
- Romelu Lukaku has failed to score in any of his 4 games against Juventus for Inter Milan.
Doubts: Federico Chiesa.
Out: Arturo Vidal, Aleksandar Kolarov.
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Serie A
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Serie A.