Lionel Messi has become the player who has won the most trophies throughout Barcelona’s entire history following the club’s Spanish Super Cup win
Goals from Gerard Pique and Ousmane Dembele enabled the Catalan club to overcome Pablo Sarabia’s ninth-minute opener for Sevilla to win their first piece of silverware for this season.
But the occasion belonged to new first-choice captain Messi, who has moved ahead of Andres Iniesta as the club’s most honoured player after collecting his 33rd trophy for Barcelona.
“I don’t know what Messi must be feeling right now,” said Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde, via ESPN.
“If someone’s going to reach that sort of milestone, that many trophies with one club, it’s him.
“It’s incredible. It’s fitting that he has the [club] record. We hope it doesn’t end here and he keeps on winning more.”
Below are all the pieces of major silverware Messi has won at Barcelona:
- La Liga: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18
- Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18
- Supercopa de España: 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018
- UEFA Champions League: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2014–15
- UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
Following both Messi and Iniesta in the list for Barcelona are Gerard Pique and Sergio Busquets on 28 trophies, while another club legend in Xavi Hernandez (who is also the record appearance-maker for the club) is on 25.