Lionel Messi revealed he would have no problems accepting long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo’s surprise invitation to dinner sometime.
The Messi and Ronaldo rivalry is undisputedly one of football’s greatest, with the pair dominating Europe for over a decade. They, in fact, ended up winning five Ballon d’Ors each and have scored a combined 1205 club career goals.
Last season, however, was the first time that neither one of them squared off against each following Ronaldo’s Real Madrid exit.
But the mutual respect between the duo is possibly larger than ever now, with both Messi and Ronaldo confessing they miss their old rivalry.
They even sat down together during the Champions League draw ceremony on August 29 in Monaco. Back then, Ronaldo heaped praise on his old foe and then offered him a surprise dinner invite.
When asked what’s his response to Ronaldo’s invite, Messi told Sport: “Yes, I don’t have any problem with that.
“I’ve always said that I don’t have any issue with him. We might not be friends because we’ve never shared a dressing room together but I always see him at award shows and there’s no problem.
“We actually spoke with each other for quite a long time at the most recent show. I don’t know if there will be a dinner because I don’t know if our paths will cross for obvious reasons, each one of us has our own life and our own commitments.
“But obviously I would accept the invitation.”
The Argentina international, meanwhile, also reflected on his chances of a record sixth Ballon d’Or this year.
“I don’t know. The Ballon d’Or is strange, no one really knows who is the favourite,” said Messi, who finished as runner-up in the UEFA Player of the Year prize to Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk.
“Recently they’ve looked more at the club’s results, which isn’t a bad thing. Sometimes it’s been for the World Cup which not everyone values the same. I don’t know.
“Honestly, there isn’t a specific line on which you can define the Ballon d’Or winner. I’ve never felt I was the favourite or not. As I’ve said before, individual awards are secondary to me.”
Messi also spoke on his Barcelona future following last week’s revelation that he can leave for free next summer.