Liverpool’s target Timo Werner is not keen on extending his stay at RB Leipzig as he nears the final year of his deal.
Werner, 23, is one of the most sought-after forwards in Europe considering his prolific nature in front of goal.
The Germany international has plunged in 14 goals in 26 Bundesliga appearances this season which has attracted the interests of Bundesliga rivals Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
What a hit 🔥
Timo Werner with one of the goals of the weekend 👊 pic.twitter.com/VR8IJQwJeE
— Goal (@goal) April 8, 2019
Liverpool are willing to offload Divock Origi and Daniel Sturridge whose contract runs out this season in the bid to add firepower to the attack.
And it appears Werner is destined to follow former teammate Naby Keita to Anfield
RB Leipzig CEO Oliver Mintzlaff has revealed that the 23-year-old has indicated he will not be renewing, with his current contract set to expire in June 2020.
“We want to extend it with him, but he has signalled to us that he would rather not extend,” Mintzlaff told Sky Germany.
Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick, who will be replaced by Julian Nagelsmann at the end of the season, urged the striker to stay put.
“We’re trying to keep him,” he said. “He knows he’s very popular in the team, with the coach and the fans.
“He’s a top player, and he has become one of the most exciting Bundesliga strikers in the country.
“He still has one-and-a-half years left of his contract, and I hope that he’ll stay. But in the end, it’s up to him.”
Liverpool return to action on Wednesday night when they take on FC Porto in the second leg of the Champions League quarter-finals. Klopp’s men ran away 2-0 winners at Anfield last week Tuesday.