Real Madrid’s newest star capture Luka Jovic reckons he can form a deadly strike partnership with Karim Benzema in Spain.
Real presented Jovic for the first time on Wednesday afternoon at the Santiago Bernabeu after reaching a €60m deal to sign him from Eintracht Frankfurt.
At 21, Jovic is one of the most exciting young talents to emerge in European football after a breakthrough campaign at Eintracht. He bagged 27 goals in 48 appearances in all competitions to help the club to a seventh-place Bundesliga finish and the Europa League semi-finals.
Now, the Serbian has signed a six-year contract at Real and is set to rival Benzema as the club’s main centre-forward. Although he did suggest that manager Zinedine Zidane could partner the two of them up front together.
“When he arrived [at Real Madrid], I was 11,” said Jovic, according to Goal.
“He’s one of the best in the world and I hope to learn a lot from him.
“I think we’re compatible, but Zidane will be the one to decide.
“I have not spoken with Zidane and at Eintracht I played up front or with other strikers.”
Barcelona and Bayern Munich had reportedly been keen on signing Jovic prior to his decision to join Real.
“I did not know of any other offer,” said the 21-year-old.
“I was not aware of any other offer that was not from Madrid. I spoke with my agent, he told me about the Madrid offer and I accepted it quickly.”
Eden Hazard, who completed a €100m switch from Chelsea last week, will also be presented at the Bernabeu at 19:00 (CET) this evening.
Hazard and Jovic could make their debuts for Real against Bayern Munich on July 21 in their opening game of the International Champions Cup in Texas.