It is Atletico Madrid vs Juventus tonight at Wanda Metropolitano stadium and here is everything you need to know about the game.
Atletico Madrid will face their worst nightmare in the Champions League’s round of 16 – Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Portuguese spent nine seasons with their local rivals, Real Madrid and scored 22 goals against the Colchoneros during his time in Spain. Ronaldo won two Champions League Finals against Atletico, in 2014 and 2016.
Lucas Hernandez missed the game against Rayo Vallecano last weekend and looks unlikely to recover in time for the clash against Juventus.
Diego Costa is available for Diego Simeone and is expected to start the game.
💥 Are you ready for the @ChampionsLeague? 💥
— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) February 19, 2019
Alex Sandro should be back for Juventus, as he trained on Tuesday, but Juan Cuadrado is definitely out of the game.
That did the managers say
Atletico Madrid’s coach Diego Simeone was full of praise for his opponents saying:
“I’m really up for this. Here in the Champions League, such a great competition, against a big team like Juventus: it’s these kinds of games that help us to grow. We are proud to be in this competition.
“They’re a really powerful opponent that we’re going to face, a top club with a coach who has been there a long time. They’ve got players who operate at the very top level. Hopefully, we can take the game where we want it to go.”
🎙📰 RECAP: @OfficialAllegri & @Miralem_Pjanic preview tomorrow night's big @ChampionsLeague Last 16 tie with @atletienglish ➡️ https://t.co/GJftVRtyrG#AtletiJuve #GETREADY #ForzaJuve pic.twitter.com/rsb4FXMK6O
— JuventusFC (@juventusfcen) February 19, 2019
Max Allegri said that it is important to score an away goal against Atletico.
“We’ve got an important Champions League last-16 match ahead. In the last four years, we’ve played a lot of high-level matches and tomorrow’s game is a very important one. Atletico are well-organized and strong in defense.
“We have to be focused, knowing that we face a compact team that make the most of set pieces, and who in recent years have achieved a lot of good results in Europe. I wouldn’t take a draw now – I said to the lads that it’s important to score goals.”
- Atlético Madrid and Juventus’ previous Champions League encounter was in the 2014/15 group stages.
- Atlético Madrid are unbeaten in the Champions League against Italian opposition under manager Diego Simeone (W4 D2).
- Juventus have won four of their last five away games in the knockout stages of the Champions League (D1). Their last defeat dates back to March 2016 in the last-16 second leg against Bayern Munich
- Juventus’s Cristiano Ronaldo has scored only one goal in his last eight Champions League games.
- Massimiliano Allegri has reached the knockout stages in each of his nine campaigns as manager in the Champions League.