2018 Ballon d’Or winner Luka Modric believes it was unfair of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi to not attend this year’s ceremony
The Croatian playmaker brought an end to Ronaldo and Messi’s decade-long hold of football’s most highly coveted individual prize in Paris earlier this month after being voted the best player of 2018.
However, five-time winners Ronaldo and Messi were notable absentees with Modric clearly unimpressed.
The 33-year-old even suggests that awards only have value to the pair when it’s them that receive them.
“I cannot say why someone did not attend – that’s their choice,” Modric told Sportske Novosti. “That is logical, is it not?
“It turns out these choices and trophies only have value when they get them. It is not fair to their playing colleagues, or to the voters who have nominated them for the past 10 years – nor for football or supporters.”
“But I repeat, everyone behaves the way they think they need to.”
Although Modric did concede that winning the Ballon d’Or this year does not automatically make him a better player than either Ronaldo or Messi.
“Things are, in my opinion, very simple,” said Modric.
“Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi are two phenomena that play a dominant role for 10 years. Above everyone in terms of quality.
“But here we are talking about seasonal performance and it may mean that the votes of trainers, players, legends of football, journalists and fans are the same. Or are they all at the same time mistaken?
“If we are to vote on the quality of players, then we can divide all the trophies between Messi and Ronaldo as long as they are actively playing and ignore any other choices.”
— Luka Modrić (@lukamodric10) December 4, 2018