Nabil Fekir confessed that he still doesn’t know whether or not he will remain at Lyon for next season, despite beginning talks with the club.
The French forward was close to sealing a transfer to Liverpool last summer before his medical results caused the deal to collapse.
The Reds discovered an old anterior cruciate ligament tear in his right knee, which was sustained back in 2015, and so decided to pull the plug on a deal.
“It’s part of a player’s career, but it makes you stronger and you have to move forward,” Fekir told Telefoot of his failed Liverpool move.
Fekir remained at Lyon after winning the World Cup with France, but that has not stopped him from being linked with moves to the likes of Chelsea and Bayern Munich in the summer.
The 25-year-old is contracted to Lyon until June 2020, with the club’s president Jean-Michel Aulas making it clear that talks over a contract extension would recommence once their Champions League campaign ended.
Therefore, Fekir is expected to resolve his future soon following Lyon’s last-16 exit at the hands of Barcelona earlier this month.
For now, though, the France international is refusing to give too much away.
“I really don’t know what I will do [in the close season] but as I said I feel good in Lyon, the president trusts me, that’s good,” said Fekir.
“Every season is different. We’ve started discussions with the president. We’ll see.”
On whether his talks were over a new deal, Fekir replied: “You’ll see.”
Currently, Bruno Genesio’s side sit in third place in the Ligue 1 table and in the final Champions League qualification spot.
A Coupe de France semi-final clash with Rennes awaits them on Tuesday as bid to end their five-year wait for silverware.
“Qualifying for the Champions League is an objective for Lyon and we also have this Coupe de France semi-final against Rennes,” said Fekir.
“It’s been a long time since we won a trophy. It’s an objective for the club to qualify for the final and try to win it.”