The 2016 European champions have replaced Fernando Santos with Roberto Martinez.
New Portugal manager Roberto Martinez has left the door open for Cristiano Ronaldo to continue his playing for the national team.
Following Ronaldo’s move to Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr, on top of losing favor under Martinez’s Portugal predecessor, Fernando Santos, at the World Cup, there were doubts over the 196-cap attacker’s international future.
However, during his unveiling as Portugal’s newest manager on Monday, Martinez announced he plans to speak to Ronaldo, and some other players, before making any team decisions.
“Decisions have to be made on the pitch. I won’t rush into decisions. I want to meet everyone, and from today I want to talk and meet all the players,” the former Belgium boss said.
“Cristiano is part of that list. He’s had 19 years in the national team and deserves respect, let’s talk. From there, it’s up to me to make the best list for the European Championships. Tomorrow we will start working to meet all the players, and Cristiano is one of them.
“We will start a football process to try to get to know all the players. We will give a chance to all players and respect all who are already on the team. I’m delighted to have them by my side.”
Ronaldo holds the record for the most goals in men’s international football, having scored 118 times for Portugal. The captain has previously said he hopes to compete in Euro 2024.
Meanwhile, Martinez could make his Portugal debut against Liechtenstein on March 23 in a Euro 2024 qualifier. The 49-year-old Spaniard has signed a contract with the Selecao until 2026.
Um novo 𝗟𝗶́𝗱𝗲𝗿 ao serviço de Portugal 🇵🇹: bem-vindo, Mister Roberto Martínez! 🤝 #VesteABandeira
A new 𝗟𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿 at 🇵🇹 service: welcome, Coach Roberto Martínez! 🤝 #WearTheFlag pic.twitter.com/TCDe3yzJr9
— Portugal (@selecaoportugal) January 9, 2023