Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu announced that Ernesto Valverde retains the club’s full support and will stay as manager next season.
After replacing Luis Enrique in 2017, Valverde has won 81 and lost just 11 of his 117 matches in charge of Barcelona.
Having already won La Liga, the 55-year-old can make it back-to-back domestic doubles in his two seasons should the Blaugrana defeat Valencia in this month’s Copa del Rey final.
Despite all of this, however, Valverde’s Camp Nou future had been called into question after Barcelona blew a 3-0 aggregate lead in the Champions League for the second time in a row.
The latest one came at the hands of Liverpool in the semi-finals, where the Reds handed Barcelona a humiliating 4-0 second leg defeat at Anfield to win the tie 4-3 on aggregate.
However, Valverde brushed aside concerns over his future last week by insisting that Bartomeu “has given me his complete support”.
And now the Barcelona president has confirmed those comments are indeed true.
“Ernesto already said the other day, he has the support of the president and the board, because it is the coach we want, has a contract in force and we are very happy with him,” said Bartomeu, according to Daily Mail.
“The planning for next season has been underway for some time. There are already signed players and we will continue talking when the Copa final is over.
“Now it is about the players recovering from the mental shock that we suffered, but the result of the Copa final will not be decisive for anyone.
“We come from a painful defeat and we must recover our spirit, our enthusiasm and our desire to compete, but we are recovering from the European elimination.”
Barcelona will take a trip to SD Eibar on Sunday for their La Liga finale. They will meet Valencia in the Copa del Rey final in Seville on May 25.