Paolo Maldini denies AC Milan made an offer for Luka Modric this summer even though he concedes the Real Madrid star is “perfect” for them.
After being linked with a move to Inter Milan last year, reports have suggested local rivals Milan could be a potential new destination for Modric.
At 33, the Croatian playmaker’s days are beginning to wind down and a Real exit could be on the table considering the club’s mega spending in the summer transfer window.
Contrary to what recent rumours have suggested, though, Maldini insists Milan haven’t made an attempt to sign Modric.
“We never negotiated for Modric, but we’ve said to [coach Marco] Giampaolo this club are looking for good young players and some experienced ones,” said Maldini, according to Goal.
“The growth of young players takes place through the presence of experienced players. Modric would be perfect here, but we’ve never negotiated for him.”
Modric, who remains under contract at Los Blancos for another two years, is allegedly keen to remain at the Santiago Bernabeu. Apparently, he’s hopeful of a return to his best form under manager Zinedine Zidane.
Meanwhile, Maldini was speaking at the presentation of Milan’s newest signings Rade Krunic and Theo Hernandez on Friday.
And full-back Hernandez, who completed a €20m switch from Real this month, revealed Maldini’s influence in helping him decide on a move to Milan.
“It is a real honour to be sitting next to [Maldini],” Hernandez said on the now-Rossoneri technical director.
“He will always be the best full-back in the world.
“We met in Ibiza, where he had some very beautiful and sincere words for me. Since then, I have had the desire to join Milan. I trained hard to succeed and in the end I did it.”