Cristiano Ronaldo was the match-hero last time out against Parma and will hope to do so again on Saturday night.
Juventus take a trip to the Stadio Ennio Tardini on Saturday night seeking a return to winning ways against Parma in the Serie A.
The visitors sit third in the league standings on 24 points from 12 games this season, and four behind table-toppers AC Milan. Parma, on the other hand, sit 11 places below in 14th-place on 12 points in comparison.
Cristiano Ronaldo scored in both halves to seal Juventus a 2-1 win over Parma in the last clash between these sides last January in Turin.
On paper at least, Juventus should be favorites to take home all three points on Saturday. But their struggles against lower teams this season, along with Parma’s strong home form, suggest an upset cannot be discounted.
Parma Form & Stats
The Crusaders have become draw specialists this season, having settled for six stalemates in their opening 12 games (W2 L4). Incidentally, they’ve taken the same number of draws as Juventus and drawn their last three games.
In two of those three draws, however, Parma failed to score despite boasting home advantage. They also blew a superb two-goal lead, and a potentially famous win at the San Siro, to settle for a 2-2 stalemate with AC Milan.
Parma have only won once at home this season (D4 L1) courtesy of Jasmin Kurtic’s first-minute goal in a 1-0 win over Hellas Verona in October.
Fabio Liverani has favored using a 4-3-3 formation recently, which has helped the club go unbeaten in their last four league games. Although they have the league’s fourth-worst goal record on 12 goals.
Based on this record, and the fact Parma have taken 0-0 draws in their last three home league matches, Liverani may opt for another conservative approach to repel Ronaldo and Juventus.
Key Team Stats
- Drawn their last 3 games in a row.
- Unbeaten in their last 5 home league games (W1 D4).
- Won just 1 of their last 5 games against Juventus (D1 L3).
- Drawn 4 of their 6 home league games this season (W1 L1).
- Under 2.5 goals in 5 of their 6 home league games this season.
- Gervinho has scored 3 goals in 3 league games against Juventus for Parma.
Juventus Form & Stats
After making a rare penalty miss in last Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Atalanta, and missing out on the FIFA Best player award, Cristiano Ronaldo will be determined to make his mark at the Stadio Ennio Tardini.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has been in scintillating form, scoring 31 goals in only 26 Serie A games in 2020, and has been included in Andrea Pirlo’s 21-man squad for the trip to Parma.
Pirlo desperately needs three points in the bag to keep the pressure on league leaders AC Milan. He may be unbeaten in his 12 league games (W6 D6), but Juventus have squandered too many points against teams, on paper at least, they should’ve beaten.
And while the Bianconeri boast the league’s best defensive record on just 10 goals conceded so far, they have only won two of their six away games (D4) and have had four red cards already – another league-best.
Paulo Dybala, meanwhile, is out of the squad after sustaining a muscle injury in his right leg during training this week and Arthur Melo is also unavailable due to a slight knock.
Key Team Stats
- Scored the first goal in their last 7 away games in all competitions.
- Scored before half-time in 83% of their away league games this season.
- Exactly 2 goals in 6 of their 12 league games this season.
- Red card in 3 of their 6 away league games this season.
- BTTS in 9 of their 12 league games this season.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has managed 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 league games against Parma.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has taken 5 penalties (4 scored & 1 missed) in his last 3 games in all competitions.
Parma: Alberto Grassi, Vincent Laurini, Giuseppe Pezzella, Matteo Scozzarella (out).
Juventus: Giorgio Chiellini, Merih Demiral, Arthur Melo, Paulo Dybala (out).
(Note: The image will change to the official XI once they’re both announced)
Top Goalscorers in Recent Games
Below are some head-to-head stats on each team’s recent form in Serie A.