Report: Juventus hold talks with Antonio Conte over possible return

Juventus reportedly held preliminary talks with Antonio Conte over a potential return as manager should Massimiliano Allegri leave.

Since the start of 2019, Allegri’s future at Juventus has been put into doubt amid reports linking him with Serie A rivals Inter Milan.

Upon taking charge of the Old Lady in 2014, Allegri has won domestic doubles in all of his four seasons in charge with an impressive record of 190 victories in 265 matches.

And the former AC Milan coach is close to wrapping up his fifth Serie A crown at Juventus, who can seal the title this Saturday at home against Fiorentina.

After months of refusing to confirm his future plans, Allegri announced plans to remain at Turin for next season following Tuesday’s Champions League exit at the hands of Ajax.

But Sky Sports has reported that Allegri’s future is still not sorted and claim that Juventus have approached former Chelsea boss Conte.

Although it’s understood the Bianconeri were simply trying to get a better idea of Conte’s availability for next season.

Demetrio Albertini

Albertini says Milan has to learn from Juventus

According to the former Rossoneri midfielder, Demetrio Albertini, the team needs to start "from scratch, scrapping everything they built the year before."

The 49-year-old previously spent most of his playing career at Juventus before going to become the club’s manager between 2011 to 2014.

While in charge at Turin, Conte won 102 of his 152 games and led Juventus to three consecutive Serie A crowns.

Since being replaced by Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea last summer, Conte has been linked to Real Madrid and Inter Milan. However, he’s denied holding talks but revealed in January that he will “take the rest of this year off”.

Although it does seem that Allegri remains Juventus’ clear first-choice for next season after president Andrea Agnelli’s comments on his fellow Italian in Tuesday’s defeat to Ajax.

“We’ve said since the summer that the Champions League is an objective and will be every year,” said Agnelli.

“This was a relatively young starting XI tonight, so it can grow with Allegri on the bench.

“We’ll sit down at the end of the season to discuss the contract, as we said six weeks ago – and we have a club that guarantees the future and continuity of a prosperous future for Juventus.”

GENOA, ITALY – MARCH 17: Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri shouts to his players during the Serie A match between Genoa CFC and Juventus at Stadio Luigi Ferraris on March 17, 2019 in Genoa, Italy. (Photo by Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here