Barcelona will reportedly sell a struggling Philippe Coutinho in the summer as part of a major reshuffle in the squad.
Following a €160m transfer from Liverpool in January 2018, Coutinho has failed to establish himself as a regular in the Barcelona line-up.
The Brazilian playmaker has been strongly linked with a return to the Premier League at Manchester United, despite his previous association with old rivals Liverpool.
Not helping matters for Coutinho is his poor relationship with fans at Camp Nou, who weren’t the least bit impressed by his goal celebration during Barcelona’s 3-0 Champions League win over Manchester United last month.
After scoring from 25 yards out, Coutinho shut his eyes and placed his fingers in his ears in front of them. He admitted later on that he found it “liberating”.
But ESPN has reported that Barcelona’s Champions League defeat to his old club Liverpool is set to have big consequences for the 26-year-old.
Despite winning the first leg of their semi-final tie 3-0, the Blaugrana spectacularly blew their strong advantage by losing 4-0 to Liverpool in the return leg at Anfield on Tuesday.
Therefore, Ernesto Valverde’s side will sell Coutinho as part of a major squad reshuffle.
“Coutinho is not a Barcelona player, that’s been made clear,” said a club source.
“He has added nothing. He will leave in the summer.”
Coutinho has managed 11 goals and five assists in 52 appearances across all competitions this season.
Back in March, the ex-Liverpool star even confessed that he remains uncertain over his long-term future.
“In the last few weeks, months even, I’ve not been playing well but I still want to improve,” said Coutinho.
“I came to Barcelona to give my best. I live for the moment. You never know what the future holds.”
Barcelona will next host Getafe on Sunday at Camp Nou for their penultimate La Liga game.