Juventus’ most recent fixture against Napoli was canceled after the latter failed to travel to Turin due to coronavirus safety protocols.
Napoli were prohibited to leave the Campania region after two of their players, Piotr Zielinski and Eljif Elmas, as two of their players had been tested positive for COVID-19.
According to reports, the Serie A side were informed that they could face “criminal charges” if they decided to act against the safety protocols and break their “strict quarantine.”
As a result, the team did not travel to Turin for Sunday’s Serie A clash against Juventus.
Gli Azzurri had requested to postpone the match but they had their request rejected by Serie A, leaving them in a strange situation.
Despite being aware of the situation beforehand, Juventus approached the match like any other. They released their official line-up about an hour before the kick-off time and the players also participated in pre-match warm-up.
The Juventus vs Napoli fixture was officially called off 45 minutes after the scheduled kick-off time. As per ESPN, Juve have been handed a 3-0 victory for now.
President Andrea Agnelli told a news conference: “Today, we were to come here to watch one of the best matches of the season. Instead, we find ourselves managing a complex situation, but the issue is rather simple.
“I heard from [Napoli president Aurelio] De Laurentiis a couple of days ago [regarding the postponement of Sunday’s match] and told him that I abide by the regulations.”