Cristiano Ronaldo has been nominated for the 2018 Ballon d’Or award
The five-time winner inspired Real Madrid to a third successive Champions League crown last season and scored 44 goals in as many games across all competitions.
Joining him in the second batch of nominees are Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne, Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino and Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin.
The Ballon d’Or is a prestigious individual award that was first presented to Sir Stanley Matthews in 1956 and has since been awarded to the best player of the year ever since.
The current list of nominees are:
- Sergio Aguero (Man City)
- Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
- Alisson Becker (Liverpool)
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
- Edinson Cavani (PSG)
- Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
- Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)
- Roberto Firmino (Liverpool)
- Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid)
— #ballondor (@francefootball) October 8, 2018