The Italian Lega Serie A club has talked about the rumors that put the player at Barcelona after their loan clause expired last month.
Kevin-Prince Boateng was bought by Sassuolo in 2018 from Eintracht Frankfurt.
And in January, he was sent on a six-month loan to Barcelona.
The Blaugrana had a clause where they could have bought the player, but now the clause has finished and Sassuolo have admitted Boateng is still their player.
“I have never said we weren’t expecting him anymore, this interview was done before June 30 [when the loan deal expired] and we still didn’t know about Barcelona’s intentions,” Sassuolo’s president Giovanni Carnevali told Goal.
“I just said we still didn’t know if Barcelona wanted him, if they wanted to give him on loan to another Spanish club or if he was going to be back with us, the point is the interview was published after the 30th.”
“Right now we already know Boateng is back to Sassuolo and together we will see what he wants to do,” he added.
Meanwhile, Boateng already said goodbye to Barcelona.
“Today ends one of the most exciting experiences of my career,” he said on Instagram.
“I thank every person who made this possible.”
“I thank my team-mates who made me feel at home from day one, champions and great people,” he continued.
“I thank all the management, available and always present.”
“A special thought goes to all the fans: I will always carry you in my heart. I wanted to give something more, but I did my best in every minute that was given to me to honor this fantastic shirt,” Boateng concluded.
Il Trofeo Fair Play 'Gaetano Scirea' al Sassuolo per il quinto anno consecutivo! Grazie ai tifosi neroverdi per l'ennesima stagione all'insegna della correttezza e del fair play 🖤💚🖤💚
— U.S. Sassuolo (@SassuoloUS) June 28, 2019