Bernardo Silva hopes Manchester City avoid Champions League favourites Juventus in the upcoming draw and further rejected Cristiano Ronaldo’s comparison.
Man City were in scintillating form in their 7-0 spanking of Schalke at the Etihad, with Silva playing a pivotal role and contributed to the goals.
The former Monaco man has been described as one of Portugal’s biggest star by Pep Guardiola owing to his current form.
However, Silva cleared the air after speculations suggested he was taking over from Ronaldo.
“I think people interpreted things a little different to what he meant,” said the 24-year-old. whose new six-year contract was confirmed on Wednesday.
“Cristiano, what he has done in over the last 15 years in football, is probably one of the best players ever in the history of football. So there is no comparison to him.”
With Real Madrid relinquishing their hold on the Champions League following their exit to Ajax last week, Juve and Man City are considered hot favourites for European football’s greatest prize.
Bernardo is wary of the prospect of a showdown with his compatriot in the quarter-finals.
— Guardian sport (@guardian_sport) March 13, 2019
“I wouldn’t like it very much, to be honest,” he said via the Evening Standard. “I know him, I know what he’s capable of and once again he proved it.
“When you are playing in a competition like the Champions League you have to know that you can get drawn against this kind of teams, this kind of players.
“It is a good thing. It means you are playing the best competitions, the best games and we will see who we are playing against. Of course, to play against Cristiano and (Lionel) Messi it is always complicated.”