LaLiga Santander president Javier Tebas has warned against the proposed creation of a European Super League.
There has been plenty of reports over the new competition in the last few weeks with the large majority of clubs keen on rejecting the idea.
And Javier Tebas equally shares their sentiment after suggesting it would be detrimental to the progress of the Spanish top flight.
“The proposed plans for the Super League put LaLiga in serious jeopardy,” Javier Tebas said.
“It will change the entire way in which European football will work.
“500 million euros will go to those clubs who are competing in the competition and before we know it, there will be an unsalvageable disparity of wealth between the elite clubs and the rest.
“It is essential that the AFE (Spanish Footballers Association) is aware that if there is less income, player’s wages will be affected”.
When questioned about the new, revised format of the Copa del Rey, Tebas was unequivocal in his response.”The new Copa del Rey format already existed and it failed,” he stated.
LaLiga Santander’s president spoke about the prospect of teams having to play matches on Monday nights, just like in the Premier League.
Head of #LaLiga Javier Tebas declares this morning that the format of single one leg games in the #CopaDelRey 'failed previously' as Mallorca and Recreativo Huelva reached the final one year 🤔🤔🤔#TebasVeteYa pic.twitter.com/x6gkecVdEn
— Paul Reidy (@paulreidy67) May 13, 2019
“There will definitely be Monday night football from next season onwards,” he said via Marca.
“Everything has been agreed and signed.”The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) could have refused, but they didn’t.
“No team will play more than twice at home on a Monday and even the bigger teams will have to play on Monday nights, just like they do in England.”