Japanese star Takefusa Kubo was pleased to make his first appearance in a Real Madrid jersey despite it ending in a 3-1 defeat to Bayern Munich.
After completing a summer move from FC Tokyo, Kubo debuted on Saturday in Houston for Real’s International Champions Cup (ICC) opener against Bayern.
Los Blancos boss Zinedine Zidane introduced the 18-year-old as one of his eleven half-time substitutions. And it didn’t take long either for the talented Kubo to impress for the Spanish giants.
The teenager, dubbed as the “Japanese Messi” back home, got out of several thigh situations brilliantly in the Real midfield and quickly became a priority for Bayern to man-mark.
Kubo even delivered several dangerous passes that could have provided forwards Vinicius Junior, Luka Jovic and Rodrygo Goes with scoring opportunities.
While Rodrygo did eventually get on the scoresheet, it was too little too late for Real as Corentin Tolisso, Robert Lewandowski and Serge Gnabry had already put Bayern into a commanding three-goal lead.
Nonetheless, Kubo was satisfied with his run-out despite being on the losing side.
“I’m very happy about my debut with Real Madrid, even though we lost and even though I always hate to lose,” said Kubo, according to Marca.
“My plan is to help the team as much as possible.”
When quizzed on what Zidane’s instructions for him were, he replied: “It was about pressing and playing quickly with one or two touches.
“I feel comfortable in whatever zone they place me.”
Although Kubo later told reporters about his discontent with all the hype over his presence in the Real team.
“I know what’s happening in my country,” said the teenager.
“People are a bit…
“There is a lot of focus placed on me, and I don’t really like that. I do my thinking on the pitch.”
Kubo also refused to comment on Gareth Bale’s situation after Zidane announced that the Wales star will leave Real “very soon”.