Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde is still unsure what will happen in the Neymar transfer saga as he continues to push for a Paris Saint-Germain exit.
Neymar has been the biggest topic of the summer transfer window in light of his attempts to force his way out of PSG. So far, it’s understood he wants a Barcelona return despite leaving the club just two years ago.
But things haven’t gone the Brazilian’s way, with the Spanish La Liga champions failing to match PSG’s demands of €222m in cash only. It led Blaugrana vice-president Jordi Cardoner to rule out a summer reunion with Neymar last weekend.
Since this big announcement, Real have reportedly stepped up their efforts to sign the 27-year-old. Latest reports suggest they’re willing to offer him €40m per season in a five-year contract.
Apparently, the former Barcelona star sees the Santiago Bernabeu as his most likely route out of PSG.
But Valverde remains unsure on what will happen next in the Neymar saga.
“We’ll see what happens. The classic response is that he plays for another team and that’s that,” said Valverde, according to Sport.
“All I know is that I’m the manager and I only think about the players I have. They are the ones I’ll be using tomorrow.
“As it stands, I don’t know what is going to happen.”
Meanwhile, the Spanish coach also refused to offer Barcelona supporters any guarantees that Ivan Rakitic will stay at Camp Nou.
The Croatian midfielder’s future has been in strong doubt for months amid rumours linking him with Inter Milan. However, the Spanish press have claimed that the club could use him as a bargaining chip to convince PSG to sell Neymar at a lower price.
“He is very important for us,” Valverde said on Rakitic.
“His work is there. Right now, I don’t know if he will stay. I count on him as I have.
“In principle, nothing makes me think that I won’t be able to count on him.”
Barcelona will take on Napoli in Michigan, USA, on Saturday in a pre-season friendly.